We wish to reassure museums that we will continue to provide support to the sector and will be linking more widely with our partners (including Arts Council England) to target support effectively. On managing health risks, the latest information and advice for the general public is on the NHS website (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/) and the UK Government’s Coronavirus information page (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public) . These pages are updated daily and should be the first point of contact for information.
We also appreciate the significant commercial and sustainability challenges this situation poses for the many wonderful organisations we work with and we encourage you to consult the links below for the latest information and advice for the sector:
- Association of Independent Museums (AIM), including:
- Charity Finance Group practical guide covering business continuity planning, cashflow management and insurance
- Business resilience checklist
- Please see here for information on financial support
- AIM are also offering online advice surgeries and you can find out more about those here.
Also independent museums are advised to contact AIM to make them aware of any specific issues, they are talking to DCMS with other sector bodies to gather intelligence and raise appropriate support for museums.
ACE have now published their guidance for Covid-19 emergency support funding for non NPO museums (here). Nationally this is providing £50 million to support cultural organisations (including museums) to get back on their feet, or to continue making work in the future that will mean they can contribute to delivering ACE's new strategy, Let’s Create.
- For Accredited Museums (we understand this includes Working Towards Accreditation) who have previously directly or indirectly received public funding (e.g. ACE, Lottery, a small grant from MDNE etc.);
- Will support shortfalls in urgent operational costs during the current situation (e.g. rent or other building costs, staff costs, overheads such as utilities, insurance etc., costs associated with keeping your organisation operational over the next six months);
- Up to £35,000 per applicant;
- Two application windows (April 9th to April 16th, and April 16th to April 30th). You can only apply to one round;
- First step to enable an application is to make sure you are registered on Grantium by 13 April;
If you need assistance registering on Grantium, email email@example.com.
Additionally, ACE has set up a central email address for all other queries – firstname.lastname@example.org
- DCMS - Latest DCMS newsletter here.
- supporting public services
- supporting people affected by COVID-19
- supporting businesses experiencing increases in costs or financial disruption
- Museums Association – a response to a stakeholders’ meeting with DCMS, includes some of the ways in which the sector might be affected and measures that museums are taking to mitigate the impact
As usual, we can be contacted by email should you have any questions. Please see here for individual contact information for our team.
Best wishes and take care