Museum Accreditation is the UK standard for museums and galleries. It defines good practice and identifies agreed standards, thereby encouraging development. It is a baseline quality standard that helps guide museums to be the best they can be, for current and future users.
Accreditation advice and support for the North East region is provided by Emma Chaplin, contracted by Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums (TWAM). Emma will support museums approaching an initial application and museums preparing for a regular compliance return. She will also have a role in supporting the delivery of Accreditation workshops and coordination of the Museum Mentor scheme.
Accreditation advice includes:
- provision of guidance to:
- organisations wishing to complete an eligibility questionnaire;
- new applicants and returning participants;
- provisionally Accredited museums;
- museums which may require a significant change review.
- advising museums regarding interpretation of the Standard to their size and scale.
- promotion, advocacy and signposting of opportunities to undertake the Museum Mentor role to relevant museum professionals and to facilitate conversations between potential Mentors and museums in seeking a Mentor.
Emma Chaplin firstname.lastname@example.org
The Museum Accreditation Scheme is currently under review, please see here for further information.
Accreditation events are added to our calendar regularly, check our events page here for details of any forthcoming sessions.